Asparagus is young and tender and peas are in abundance. The two are beautiful together in this lovely celebration of spring.
Note - this recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
I've noted places where you can make substitutions if you'd like to add cheese (but it really doesn't need it).
For 4 servings, you need 2- 2 1/2 cuts of raw vegetables
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 large shallots, chopped finely (about 1/2 cup)
3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
8 ounces asparagus
1 pound peas in the pod (or 4 ounces sugar snap or snow peas)
1 cup of uncooked Arborio rice (risotto)
1/2 cup of white wine
4 cups of vegetable stock
Fresh herbs - parsley, basil or tarragon
1. Prepare the stock
2. Prepare the vegetables
3. Saute aromatics and vegetables
4. Add rice to the pan and cook until the grains look chalky with a white dot in the center of each
(about 5 min)
5. Add wine and simmer, stirring until it is absorbed by the rice
6. With a skimmer, scoop the vegetable trimmings out of the simmering broth and discard
7. Stir in 1/2 cup of broth into the rice mixture and simmer, stirring often, until all the liquid is absorbed
(about 3 min); stir in another 1/2 cup of broth and stir and mix until all the liquid is absorbed.
8. Stir the asparagus into the rice and add 1 cup of broth. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.
9. Stir in the peas. Continue to add broth - 1/2 a cup at a time until the rice grains are tender but still
firm in the center and the risotto is creamy but not soupy.
10. Remove from the heat and add spices (basil, parsley, tarragon - you choose)
11. Adjust spices - add salt, pepper, and/or sugar and lemon juice if needed to boost the flavors - can add Parmesan cheese here if using.
Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef
Savory Living is passionate about helping people discover how to eat well and choose delicious foods that make them feel great. We connect people with the information and skills they need to prepare, eat and savor great tasting, healthy foods. Sign up for a FREE Eat Well Consultation at www.savoryliving.com or call 617-651-1221